Friday, January 14, 2011

Dialing up your lashes

Almay One Coat Dial Up
"Go from Natural to dramatic in just 3 clicks!"
Comes with an adjustable dial allows you to control the level of fullness
The ever popular "no clump" claim

To be honest, I only bought this because it was being removed from my store's selection and they marked it down insanely just to move them out.  I have never purchased an almay mascara before... never had the desire.  So I'm basically starting from scratch here.  I kinda feel like it's a gimmicky concept, but for 2 bucks, its wasn't going to break the bank.

The concept is simple:  You have one mascara tube... you get 3 looks with the click of a dial:  full, fuller, and fullest. 

I was wondering how this could possibly work.  The commercial was at best, totally unclear.  Here's what I figured out: Basically, with each click the tube compresses or decompresses.  It squeezes the wand at different degrees allowing for more or less of the product on the brush.  The wand is alright, just straight and plastic... nothing to write home about.  No matter what level you choose, you will have nice, long lashes (initially).  Theoretically, as you go from 1 to 3 your lashes will look fuller.  I guess this is true.  I didn't notice it that much though.  Also... it did nothing to keep any curl in my lashes, even after I curled them with a heated curler. 
 
I wasn't wild about this mascara.  (Sorry Almay)  Level 3 was a clumpy mess that I ended up combing out... which I suppose brought it down to a level 2.  On level 2 and 3 I experienced flaking throughout the day (yuck!) and by the end of the day it appeared to be gone.  Level one lengthens and didn't flake, but by the end of the day it also appeared to have disappeared into thin air.
 
If you are prone to oily lids or watery eyes (allergies and such), I would absolutely suggest that you not use this product.  I foresee smearing, smudging, and eye makeup migration in your future.  The summer months could also cause a mess... so I'd avoid using it then too.
 
This is probably not going to make its way into my usual rotation.  I work long hours (this product is gone with the wind!) and spend a decent amount of time at the gym... it is sure to make you look like a hot mess.  I need my mascara to be as tough and long lasting as I am.
It absolutely -did not- rock my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment