Thursday, December 30, 2010

Lash out, baby!

I get a lot of compliments on my lashes. Since I'm pretty much blind without my glasses, I really try to play up my eyes to make them more noticeable behind my lenses.  I used to wear falsies a lot, but they were such a hassle, a bit messy, and once a few of my natural lashes fell out... I discontinued use immediately.  Freaked me out.  I will say that I was blessed with naturally long lashes... thank you genetics!  Mascaras really do enhance what nature gave you.  I've tested a million mascaras and have determined that while some are pretty effective on their own, what really works for me is a layering process.  By request, I'm going to share my process with you all.


Get yourself a lash curler if you don't have one already.  Every woman should own one.  They instantly make your eyes look brighter and wider... thus making you look more awake.  Always curl your lashes BEFORE you apply mascara.  Dry mascara can stick to the curler and be pulled out from the root!  Clamp lashes near lid.  TIP: direct the heat from a blow dryer on to the tool for no more than 5 seconds for best results, this will help your lash keep its curl.  Touch the metal with a finger first, if it's hot, wait a bit before putting it near your lid.



This is what I'm diggin' right now...

First I use Maybelline New York XXL Pro Curl Washable Mascara.  It has two sides: Side one coats and curls lashes.  Side 2 is pigmented and provides 12 hour hold

Then I apply Maybelline New York Volum'Express "Falsies" Mascara.  It has a "spoon" brush that really grabs, lifts, and separates the lashes.  This adds great volume.  I am CRAZY for this mascara!!

Then I use Maybelline New York Lash Stiletto Voluptuous Waterproof Mascara.  This adds bold length.

Finally... and the newest addition to my technique is L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion Waterproof Mascara.  This grabs the hard to reach lashes at the inner and outer corners.

*I always purchase "black" "very black" or "blackest black" when it comes to my mascara.

I do one eye at a time and allow very little time between coats.  Applying wet mascara over dry can cause clumping or flaking.  This is true with any mascara, and even if you are only using one kind. 

The result is a nice fan... bold, voluminous and long.  Running a liner along the lash line can really create the illusion of fullness.  In the picture above I am using Maybelline New York Lasting Drama gel liner.

When it comes to taking off my eye makeup, I like to choose eye makeup removers that "condition" lashes.  I use L'Oreal Paris Dermo-Expertise Eye Makeup Remover.  It removes waterproof makeup and conditions lashes.  It's very gentle and does a great job removing even the most stubborn eye makeup.  Give it a good shake before use... the forumla does separate out.


Prices (May vary by store/location):
Maybelline XXL Pro Curl Washable Mascara $8.99
Maybelline New York Lash Stiletto Voluptuous Waterproof Mascara $9.99
Maybelline New York Volum'Express "Falsies" Mascara $8.99
L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion Waterproof Mascara $9.99
L'Oreal Paris Dermo-Expertise Eye Makeup Remover $5.97

No comments:

Post a Comment