Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Battle of the tinted lipbalms

After having loved Covergirl's Natureluxe Gloss Balm, I was excited to hear about the launch of L'Oreal's Colour Riche Balm with SPF 15 and Revlon's Colorburst Lip Butter.  To be totally honest, when I finally got to try them I wasn't totally impressed, but I didn't hate them either.  I found them both to be middle of the road products.  Here's my take:

L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm SPF 15

Of the two lip colors, I definitely prefer this one.  This balm has no really noticeable scent or taste, just a super light formula that is highly moisturizing.  It has just a hint of tint, nothing too dramatic, but it definitely does enhance your natural lip color.  The staying power isn't great, but after all it is a balm, but the SPF 15 is a great added bonus.  I do love the packaging, very chic and posh.  It's available in eight shades and retails for about $8 at drugstores.

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter
I wanted to really like this product.  I waited for the shade that Emma Stone was wearing in the ad, which is Peach Parfait.  Initially, the product went on a like a dream, a smooth, buttery texture, but I just was not impressed with its production over time.  First of all, the formula does not sink into your lips, it just sits there creating a nice barrier, which is okay when you first apply.  However, over time without continuous application the formula dries and gets sticky, which isn't exactly comfortable.  The packaging is okay, a translucent, "quilted" case, but I felt like it looked a little cheesy.  It's available in a whopping twenty shades and retails for $7.49.

Overall, although I prefer L'Oreals balm, they both fell below my expectation and I wouldn't buy either one again. 

As far as tinted balms go, my picks go to some old reliables (yes that's right, tinted lip balms are not a new concept, Revlon and L'Oreal just happen to be jumping on the bandwagon late!):

Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm: light and fruity, highly moisturizing, great color and 100% natural http://beautyconfessions5.blogspot.com/2010/12/i-recently-display-for-newest-burts.html
Covergirl Natureluxe Glossbalm: Light and nourishing, non-sticky formula that delivers a flash of beautiful sheer color (SPF 15) http://beautyconfessions5.blogspot.com/2010/12/natural-beauty.html

and the Splurge:
Clinique Chubby Stick Lip Color Balm: Ultra hydrating, with a sheer hint of color for irresistibly soft lips  http://beautyconfessions5.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-just-couldnt-resist-oh-so-adorable.html

No comments:

Post a Comment