Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My search for the perfect hot pink lips.

I have to admit it... I am loving hot pink lips right now.  Big fan.

I don't know what possessed me to really like pink lips all of a sudden, but I recently got a hankering to discover my own perfect pair.  Since all the cool kids are talking about lipstains, I decided to give into peer pressure and take on this challenge pairing stains with glosses (I like a little shine in my life).  Here are my findings.

Attempt #1
Maybelline New York COLORsensational Lip Stain in Shade 10 "Wink of Pink" ($7.49) with
Maybelline New York SHINEsensational (what a mouth full) in Shade 20 "Treat Me Sweet". ($5.99)
The stain had a super easy application but it wasn't as exact as I would have liked it to be because it was a little wetter upon application.  It had decent staying power, but man, that color was not what I expected it to be!  I probably wouldn't wear this without the gloss over it.  I totally loved the gloss, times like, a thousand.  It wasn't too shiney with just a touch a sparkle.  Not too sticky compared to some other glosses I've tried and it definitely lasts.  It absolutely redeems the off color of the stain AND smells like pink jelly beans.  (Can I just say, awesome.)
Shade 10 "Wink of Pink"

Shade 20 "Treat Me Sweet
 Overall: Pretty, but not as bold as I'd like.  Think: Work day appropriate

Attempt #2
CoverGirl Outlast Lip Stain in Shade 400 "Everbloom Kiss" ($8.99) with CoverGirl Shineblast Lipgloss Shade 840 "Sparkler".  ($8.99)
The stain had very exact application, and the color pretty close to what I expected (always good.).  I LOVE this by itself, but it looks nice with a gloss too.  The color stays for a long time.  The Shineblast Lipgloss is pretty spectacular.  I love its applicator, curves nicely right to the lip.  It has a nice flush of color, a touch of sparkle, and compliments the lipstain nicely.

 Shade 400 "Everbloom Kiss"
 Shade 840 "Sparkler". 










Overall: Very subtle, not exactly the intensity I'm looking for in this study.  Think: Paired with a Smokey Eye

Attempt #3
Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain + Balm "Passion" ($8.99) with Revlon Super Lustrous lipgloss Shade 180 "Pink Pop" ($4.99)
Can I just say I'm in love with this pairing?  The stain is a slightly different shade than expected, but I do like it.  I probably wouldn't wear it on its own, but under the gloss is gorgeous.  The balm is a nice touch, as lip stains can be a tad drying.  I will say that the placement of the blam is stupid.  It's just kinda stuck to the end and I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time before I accidentally break it right off.  I've read a lot of complaints about uneven coverage and such, but I always put it under the Super Lustrous lipgloss so I haven't really noticed.  The Lipgloss is a super glossy formular with a gorgeous color and a hint of sparkle.  It is intensely moisturizing, has a nice texture, and it isn't even really sticky.  Brightens my complexion right up.  Without the stain, it gives you an excellent flash of pink color.

Lipstain + Balm "Passion"
 lipgloss Shade 180 "Pink Pop"










Overall: Perfect bold pink lips.  :) Results were exactly what I wanted, something similar to a Barbie pink.  Beautiful. 

The results:
Revlon For the Win
CoverGirl Runner Up
Maybelline fell a little short

No comments:

Post a Comment