Wednesday, October 27, 2010

L'Oreal True Match Roll On Foundation... Quite the disappointment.

I'm going to be honest.

I HATE L'Oreal's True Match Roll On foundation.

And I'm pretty confused about that.
Because... I wanted to love it.  I expected to love it.

I'm a girl who loves her L'oreal products.  I can honestly say I have never purchased anything from them that was an awful disappointment, but I guess there's a first time for everything.  Also, I'm pretty surprised I hated it so much.  Before I purchase anything, I always do my homework.  I read page after page of people who adored this product and I was SO excited to use it. 

Here's the claim:
L'oreal's True Match Roll On Foundation is a "high performance foundation" with a "break through roller applicator" that will give you super even coverage, no lines, no streaks and the end result is a natural-looking, flawless skin.  The applicator is supposed to be flexible and bendable in order to apply the foundation on all the little crevices and hard to reach places on the face.
Long story short... A long lasting, good coverage foundation with an airbrush effect.
Roll On Foundation in W(warm)3
So like a kid on Christmas morning I opened the cute little compact, grabbed that little roller... and started rolling.

And rolling... and rolling... and rolling...

Try as I might I could not roll enough of the product to get any sort of even coverage.  I figured the first use might be a little trying until the applicator got saturated, but try as I might I couldn't get that to happen.  I kept trying it on my hand but the application never evened out.  You really have to use some elbow grease to get an adequate amount on the roller.  When I finally tried to apply it on my face, I ended up with defined lines from the edges of the roller that were very difficult to blend out.
I continuously rolled it in all directions on my face to try to even it out the foundation, but it just really didn't seem to spread out the way I wanted it to.  Then I was faced with the issue of my nose.  Flexible applicator my left foot.  I ended up with all sorts of naked spots and I ended up using a wedge sponge to blend it all in.  The process was just way too labored for me, especially for a product that looks like it's supposed to be so fun and easy.

Furthermore, the coverage was spotty at best.  It definitely didn't give me the desired amount of sheer cover.  I did used the true match W3 Pressed Powder on top (an absolute staple in my makeup bag, I LOVE it) which redeemed the shoddy coverage somewhat, at least enough to go to work.  However, by the end of my shift, I looked awful.  My skin looked blotchy and a patchy, and I just looked tired and a little sallow.  My face felt dirty, even.  I couldn't wait to go home and wash the stuff off my face. 

My FAVORITE pressed powerder! A must in my makeup bag.  L'Oreal Pressed Powder in W3

I would also like to take the time to discuss the roller... It occurs to me that I typically use a makeup sponge and throw it out, as I am prone to painful breakouts.  You're supposed to use the same sponge over and over again and then roll it back over the foundation after it touches your face.  It seems to me that there would be some sort of bacteria build up issue on the roller and foundation.  It doesn't seem to me that the roller would be very washable.  Not very hygenic.

Overall, the idea is great, but in practice it just falls short.

Pros:
Cute little compact
Adorable (and convenient) little compact
Initial application feels lightweight

Cons:
Uneven distribution by the roller (streaky)
Can't get into crevices on the face (non flexible applicator)
Awful long term wear, my skin felt very dirty 8 hours later
Formula a little dry for my skin
Price point is a little high: $13.99 reg price at most drug stores


No comments:

Post a Comment